Environmental Licences 

Protecting Our Environment                                                                               

0161- 6671356 

Mon - Fri 8:30am - 8pm



How long does a Upper Tier Waste Carriers Licence last for?

A Waste Carriers Licence lasts for a total of three years at the end of which you can renew for another three years.


How much does a Upper Tier Waste Carriers Licence Cost?

A Waste Carriers Licence Costs £244 (+VAT) for a new registration or £164.00 (+VAT) for a renewal.


Do I need a Upper Tier Waste Carriers Licence?

If you carry waste that has not been generated by you and you do this as part of your business then you will require a Waste Carriers Licence. Please register HERE or call us on 0161 667 1356


I am a gardner and only carry green waste (grass cuttings, hedge cuttings e.t.c.) Do I need a Waste Carriers Licence?

If all you carry is green waste then you still need a Waste Carriers Licence but in the Lower Tier. (There is no charge for a lower tier licence.) However if you feel there will be times where you may be asked to remove waste like broken fences, concrete slabs, soil e.t.c You will require an Upper Tier Waste Carrier Licence. This costs £244 (+VAT) for three years Click Here to register or call us on 0161 667 1356


I am an Individual Scrap Metal Dealer do I need a Upper Tier Waste Carrier Licence?

If you're collecting scrap metal as part of your business regardless of whether you're a Sole Trader, Partnership or a Limited Company, you will need a Waste Carriers Licence. You will also need a site or a mobile collectors licence from your local authority if you're a scrap metal dealer in England and Wales.


If i'm a kitchen fitter and as part of my job im transporting old Kitchen units, wall tiles etc is this defined as construction waste?

Construction and demolition (C&D) waste is produced through the repair, alteration, maintenance or demolition of any building or infrastructure. It can be produced as part of a large construction project or smaller business activities e.g. a general builder replacing a bathroom in a domestic house.The waste mentioned above would fit into this group and therefore you would require an Upper Tier waste carrier registration. Please apply by clicking HERE


If I'm doing some renovation work in my own house and I generate construction waste like window frames skirting boards plaster flooring etc do I need a waste carrier licence to transport that.

you only require a waste carrier licence if you are carrying waste as part of a business activity.

If the waste is from your own property (A property you live in) and not generated as a part of a business, a waste carrier licence will not be required.


What do I need to do if my  details change?

You must update your registration within 28 days if: your organisation’s contact details change. If your organisation’s management changes. If someone in management is convicted of an environmental offence or your organisation changes what it does, eg you’re registered as a waste carrier, but start acting as a waste broker as well.


What is a waste transfer note?

For each load of non-hazardous waste you move off your premises, you need a waste transfer note or a document with the same information, Fill in the sections of the waste transfer note that apply to you. You must sign it and keep a copy for 2 years. If requested you must show it to an enforcement officer from your local council or the Environment Agency. You must include enough information to help the business taking your waste to handle and dispose of it safely. Download a waste transfer note HERE



How can I check if someone has an active waste carrier licence?

From 1 April 2016 you can check to see if someone has a waste carrier licence by searching the Environment Agency's public register. To search click HERE



Do I need a Upper tier or lower tier waste carrier licence to collect and carry used vegetable oil from catering establishments?

If you are collecting waste (as a part of your business activity) from another business then you will need to register as an upper tier waste carrier. This is irrespective of the type of waste you are collecting. To apply please click HERE or to find out more about who needs to register, Please call us on 01616671356.




Registered office in England & Wales, Reg number: 09766088, Environmental-Licences, 5300 Lakeside, Cheadle Royal Business Park, Cheadle, England SK8 3GP Postal Address: Environmental Licences, ,622A Stockport Road, Manchester, M13 0SH - Tel: 0161 6671356 VAT number - 236347602

Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy

© Copyright All rights reserved.This website and its content may not be reproduced in any form